Creating Your Own New Normal for 2017
By Todd Robertson
If you’re like a lot of top agents, right about now you’re analyzing everything you did in past twelve months to get you to this point and asking yourself a few questions:
- What worked and what didn’t?
- Did my actions support my goals?
- Did I earn what I’m worth?
- Did I take personal responsibility for my success or failures?
By carefully analyzing the past you can discover the elements that you can take into the new year and create
your own new “normal”. In other words – you can advance your game, play at a higher level, and avoid the pitfalls and hurdles you’ve already cleared to excel faster and with hopefully a few less headaches!
As you approach the new year, many of you are in the process of goal setting. Let me share a four step system for goals that is used by some of the top performing entrepreneurs in the world. It’s called the DOME strategy. Here’s what that stands for:
- D – Stands for Decide. If you look up one of the definitions of the word decision, you’ll find that it means to “cut off from”. That’s step one for creating your new normal. What things should you cut yourself off from that aren’t working or haven’t
worked for you this year? Whether that be a mindset, a skill, or a system, what can you unplug, cut off, or change up that will increase your success in the new year.
- O – Stands for Outstanding. There’s never been a more important time to play at an outstanding level. That means to surround yourself with the best people, strategies, solutions and systems in our industry. Model your choices on those of top producers. Duplicate excellence.
- M – Stands for Momentum. Now’s the time to take the stance that what gets scheduled – gets DONE. That’s how you build momentum. By cutting out the things that don’t work. By plugging in new systems and solutions that drive your business in smarter ways. By blocking your time so that you can streamline your processes – as well as schedule those
things that help you create balance.
- E – Stands for Tell Everyone. Once you’ve set your goals for the next twelve months, it’s time to tell everyone. If you’re goal is 10 salable listings in your pipeline at all times or to own a geographic farm – tell everyone you know. Put public pressure on yourself to hit those goals. People will help you when you do. They’ll support you. Remind you. Work with you to make them happen. Then commit to doing whatever it takes to make those goals happen.
Next, remember to be BOTH a Hunter and a Farmer. Top agents realize they have to both aggressively prospect as well as create opportunities for lead generation by branding themselves in a geographic farm. In fact, I just spoke with a great new Market Dominator customer, who will finish this year with 100 closings. I asked him why he decided to use the Dominator to brand himself in the markets he’s going after for the new year. He told me it was because he needed to raise the bar. Because he was capable of helping more people than he was currently helping and he was committed to doing that. That’s why he chose to use the 12 x 15 Dominator as his marketing tool. It’s a statement that tells potential sellers in his farm area that he’s serious about marketing. Serious about getting results. Here’s what’s interesting: 90% or more of the agents in your market won’t be willing to make that commitment. Most will continue to do what has always been done and get the results that they’ve always gotten. But some of you? Will step outside the norm to create a new normal. Some of you will raise your standards, raise your skill levels, and raise your commitment. And in the process – you’ll go beyond what’s always been done to develop a career that others will emulate.
Ready to create your new normal and put a plan in place to take 2017 by storm? Go for it. Remember that we’re here if you need anything. Call our team at 866-405.3638! That’s what we do best!