Starts with a Little Appreciation
By Julie Escobar
People say a little appreciation goes a long way and they wouldn’t be wrong. We know from massive research where business really comes from, and it’s not from where most business people think. Statistics show that 66% of all the business generated by 95% of successful professionals today comes from only four sources:
- Close Acquaintances
- Referrals generated by the first three groups
Statistics also show us that when you stay in consistent touch, top of mind, and deliver excellent service and show your appreciation, you can expect either a referral or a transaction from one in every twelve people in your sphere. So the questions to ask yourself is do you even know who is in your sphere, and how are you expertly staying in touch with them and delivering that top of mind service and appreciation?
A long time ago I learned from Floyd Wickman that, “People don’t care what you know until they know that you care.” Show them you care.
Here are four easy strategies to help you do that:
- Each month pull a list of every customer in your database who has an anniversary of either the sale or purchase of a home and send them a Customer Appreciation postcard with a personalized message on the back.
- Each month choose 25-50 people from your sphere database and send them either a Thank You or a Thinking of You postcard from the Customer Appreciation series with a personalized message on the back.
- Each month send a sphere-friendly postcard to the rest of your database to keep your name top of mind. Top customer picks would be the Listing Inventory Series, Content Cards, Holiday Cards, and Recipe Cards.
- Pull an idea (or a few) from the fun connection suggestions on our Master Marketing Schedule each month. For example, this month, April 22nd, is National Jelly Bean Day. Get little packages of jelly beans to give to clients, the admin staff at your office, co-workers and friends. There’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Day in May for a chance to deliver some tasty treats to ten top clients. Or National Chocolate Day in July, where we suggest you grab ten of those little sampler boxes of chocolate and deliver to ten top clients with a note thanking them for being such a treat! Or Aviation Day in August where we suggest you order cardboard or paper airplanes from www.orientaltrading.com and pass them out to your farm area this day with a note attached saying, “Buying and selling real estate today takes an experienced pilot. I can help ensure you have a terrific landing! Call me today!” The schedule is filled with fun ideas that help you stand out from your competition. Try them!
Rising to the top of your game in your market means doing things differently than your competition. Where others show up once or twice – show up every month. Where others wait for the phone to ring – pick up the phone or see everyone in your sphere at least twice a year. Break the list into manageable numbers and call just to say hi, see if they have any questions, let them know you appreciate them and that you’re there when they need you. Where others sit on the sidelines, get in the mix every day. Be out and about in your community. Talk to your customers. Walk your farm areas. (The goal is to get the folks in your farm so connected with you that they become part of your sphere!)
Lastly, never, ever forget to say thank you, in big ways and small. To your customers, clients, colleagues, brokers, assistants, friends and family. It is a gesture that will never go out of style, and will garner you good will again and again. In a business built on relationships with people – good will goes a long way. On that note – a big THANK YOU to all of you who graciously allow us to be your marketing resource of choice!
Need help? Call our marketing team today at 866.405.3638 to put the best systems in place to build your business easily, and cost-effectively.