Working the Renter Niche
by Julie Escobar
When I talk to top agents, I find that most focus their business marketing in three important areas: their sphere of influence (those people who already know them, like them, and trust them to do business with), their geographic farm (a market area or neighborhood where another agent does NOT already have more than 10-15% market share, that is in a price range that makes good business sense for commission values, and that has some market turnover), and a niche market.
One niche that gets a lot of attention is the renter market. With rents on the rise across the nation, interest rates still historically low, and housing prices not yet scaling too quickly –it’s the perfect opportunity for renters to “kiss their landlord goodbye” – as it says in one of our most popular postcards for agents working this market.
As with any marketing campaign, consistency is key. Our First Time Buyer/Renter series has eight postcards, which is perfect for a 6-8 month campaign. Here’s what you do:
- Choose some higher end rental properties or apartment complexes in your area and capture a mailing list.
- Pick one postcard to start your campaign, I like this week’s Master Marketing Schedule tip which is to send the Kiss Your Landlord Goodbye postcard to 100 renters in your market.
- On the reverse side of the postcard, make an offer for an item of value such as one of our free reports.
- After each mailing has hit, be sure to follow up either by phone call or get out in the community and start meeting the people. Is there a Starbucks or coffee shop near the rental community? Let people know you’ll be there to answer questions one morning at a specific time. You can even use the back of the postcards as an invitation!
- Repeat this process once a month for the next six months.
Good luck! Need help? Contact our marketing team at 866.405.3638 today.