By Julie Escobar
As we hit the mid-month mark this month – many agents are staring down the barrel of just five and a half months left to hit their goals this year. What’s interesting to note that many entrepreneurs usually fall into three categories: those who created a comprehensive business plan and are on track, those who made a plan but just haven’t kept tabs on it, and those who are still taking the “hope for the best” approach to their business.
Where you land in that set of three will determine whether you are feeling confident and competent (and without a lot of stress) as we take on the rest of the year, or whether you will find yourself playing beat the clock (or worse yet, behind the eight-ball!)
In today’s competitive marketplace, savvy business men and women know that having a viable business plan and tracking it not just annually, but weekly and monthly as well is critical to success. Why? Consider how quickly you can find yourself not one month off track, but one quarter or one half of the year and then what? Once you lose your footing, getting back on track and staying focused becomes a slippery slope.
Step One: Determine WHERE YOU ARE NOW. Are you on track or off? What will it take to hit your goals? What will it mean to you and your family if you don’t?
If you’re on track – terrific. You’ve got time to fine tune skills and keep the marketing and prospecting engines going to meet and probably exceed your goals by year’s end.
If you’re not on track, determine a viable plan of action. Get with your coach, mentor, or manager and create a plan based on these factors:
- what are your must-accomplish goals for the rest of the year?
- how many listings you need to hit your goals?
- how many people do you need to contact hit those goals?
- what are your success ratios? (calls to appointments, appointments to listings, listings to closings)
- what will you have to do DAILY/WEEKLY/MONTHLY to realize those goals
Goal setting and goal reviewing aren’t just for New Year’s resolutions. They are an integral part to success EVERY month. If you’re off track, don’t despair – there’s still time (and the fall market) to help you get where you want to go.
It all starts with the PEOPLE. Consumers are more apt than ever to “take their business elsewhere” if they don’t feel like they are a priority for you and your organization.
As a consumer yourself, who are you more likely to do business with? The professional who month-after-month and year-after-year reminded you that they appreciated your business and are there during good times and bad or the company that only calls when they are trying to sell you something? Now turn the tables. How many of YOUR customers have you failed to send something to, call or see in person over the last twelve months?
They say it costs 5-10 times more to sell to new customers than it does to sell more to current customers, and yet what percent of our effort is spent looking for new customers vs. pleasing and staying in touch with our current customers? Sometimes it’s not geographically possible to meet in person or invite a client to lunch, but it is possible to call them and connect.
It can be as simple as saying…
- How are things going for you and your business? I’d love to send some referrals your way…
- Our market is changing quite a bit, and many people have questions about how that affects them — do you have any?
- We’ve got more buyers than sellers right now, and I’m just calling to see if you’ve thought about selling – or if there’s any questions you might have?
Letting people know you care, and that you are interested not only in your success but theirs as well is the foundation for building long term referral success. Sending them something every month is equally as simple by putting systems in place to creatively:
- Send Calendar cards (with a magnetic back) perfect for back to school season
- Send birthday greetings
- Send holiday greetings
- Send Football schedule cards for the sports fans (also with a magnetic back)
- Send newsletters
- Send something fun (see our Master Marketing Schedule for cool ideas)
- Send Just Listed or Just Sold cards which share your ability to get RESULTS
- Offer items of value or free reports
Finding new customers is tough and expensive. Once you’ve got a customer, hold on to them by staying in touch. I can guarantee you if you don’t, somebody else will.
As we head out of summer soon and into the fall— take the time NOW to determine if you are on track or off. Ensure that your customers know that you are there and that you care not just once or twice a year, but consistently month after month. Remember to use the SEND-CALL-SEE approach to your marketing. Continuously SEND something to your sphere, CALL them at least once a quarter and SEE them at least every six months for the best success. You’ll keep their business and ensure that your name and number are handy the next time they are asked by a family member or friend, “who would you call for real estate…?”
Need help deciding what to send, when to call and see your customers? Call our office today at 866.405.3638! We’re always here to help!