By Julie Escobar
Hearts, flowers, candy – love is all around us this month isn’t it? (I personally can get behind that chocolate thing-can’t you?) What I am also loving is checking in with agents all around the globe who are PASSIONATE about what they do, about their clients, about their business and about their futures. The common denominator for these superstars? They are all about PEOPLE. SERVICE. STAYING IN TOUCH. CONNECTING. And it sure does show in their bottom line results.
So what are they doing that may be DIFFERENT?
1. They’re Not Shy About Showing Their Passion. Whether they are standing in line for coffee, sending out direct response mail, firing up monthly newsletters, sharing on social media, networking at business events, volunteering at their kid’s schools, showing property, meeting with sellers, negotiating with colleagues – they exude that they are passionate about doing what they do. And that is a contagious, incredible magnet for new relationships and new business!
2. They Get the “Out of Sight-Out of Mind” Thing. There’s a reason why such a low percentage of sellers use the same agent twice – even though they had no problem with the service or the sale. The agents fail to STAY IN TOUCH. The biggest part of the phrase sphere of influence is INFLUENCE – and if you’re not doing the work, connecting with them month after month and sharing ideas, information, insight, and interest in who they are and what they need – you’ll lose the connection, the recognition, the awareness and unfortunately – the business. So put yourself out there! Contact everyone in your sphere every month-two months in SOME way – whether easy-to-send postcard mailers, hand written notes, a phone call, an invite, or all of the above. And make sure you’re actually TALKING to them at least twice a year.
3. They’re NOT Sitting at Their Desks. Well at least not MOST of the time. They are out in their community. They are VISIBLE. They are sharing ideas at networking events. They are talking to local business owners. They’re walking their farm areas. They are meeting with buyers, sellers and potential buyers and sellers. They’re getting together with past clients. They are hosting workshops in their local libraries, Starbucks, schools and offices. The days of just waiting for the phone to ring and expecting to compete are long gone. Get out there! Make at least one new connection (or better still – 5) every day!
4. They Leave All That Territorial Stuff to Others. Great agents aren’t afraid to share ideas, insights, strategies, solutions and smart advice with their colleagues around the world. They get that we can help each other raise the bar for our industry and our marketplaces and that doesn’t lesson who we are as a sales professional. In fact, quite the contrary. All of a sudden, while other agents are duking it out over a $50,000 listing, savvy, sharing agents are referring million dollar+ properties to each other. Raise the bar. When we all get better – we all make more. (Is the law of attraction creeping into this article?)
5. They Invest in Systems – So Things Don’t Fall Through the Cracks! For many agents the term “I’m busy” isn’t really the case, but for top agents juggling high listing volume, networking opportunities, client service and families – they don’t leave it to chance that their marketing, correspondence, database management, paperwork, etc. is going to get done. They put the systems in place to handle it. Automated Just Listed/Just Sold postcards that go out every time they take a listing without lifting a finger, virtual assistants who update databases weekly, scheduled postcard campaigns that deliver timely messages every 30 days are just some great examples.
6. They Focus on the People – Not the Paycheck. Listen, I know it’s hard when you’re seriously waiting for that next commission just to get the bills paid. I’m fairly sure most of us have been there a time or two in our careers. But the people who really skyrocket are the ones who switch up their mindset from scarcity to service. What you may not realize is when all you’re focused on is the money…it SHOWS. When you’re on a listing appointment, meeting with a buyer, meeting new people and prospecting. People don’t want to just be a paycheck to someone – they want to be a valued customer – and when you treat them that way and you focus on ‘how can I bring the best possible service and connection to this customer’ – that’s when you really see things shift in your direction.
Hope you loved at least some of these ideas! Remember we’re always here if you need us. Like the practices we teach – we’re passionate about providing the best possible service and products to our customers (YOU!) and our industry. Need help? Call us at 866.405.3638! We’d LOVE to hear from you!