Six Powerful Reasons Direct Mail Should Be Part of Your Spring & Summer Marketing Plan
By Julie Escobar
One thing for sure is that our world has become more connected than ever because of ever-evolving technology, and that’s terrific. We do live in a digital world certainly, but we also live in a world where people still appreciate personal touches, tangible visibility and human interaction. Done right, direct mail helps connect you to the customers and future customers in your market in much different way (and without any spam filters to fret about!)
In fact, according to a study done by the Direct Marketing Association, 56% of consumers think print marketing is the most trustworthy of all marketing channels. And here’s a stat that surprised me in the age of smartphones: 56% of consumers think print marketing is the most trustworthy of all marketing channels.
In an article put out by Sappi Fine Papers, “Print has more emotional pull for consumers than digital, according to scientists. A neuroscience study commissioned by the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and conducted by Millward Brown discovered that paper-based marketing—i.e., direct mail—leaves a ‘deeper footprint’ in the brain than digital—and that difference can even be pinpointed on functional MRI brain scans. The physical act of handling tangible material feels more “real” to the brain, the study claims. It produces brain responses that trigger emotional reactions, which get internalized in your memory. In other words, the printed piece itself becomes part of the subliminal messaging.”
Here are six reasons direct mail is both relevant AND results-producing!
- It’s targeted. Advertising is one means of reaching out to consumers in your market, but it’s expensive and casts a wide, but not specific net. With direct mail you can match your marketing pieces specifically to your market or niche dramatically increasing your response rates. You can even now find the mailing lists for those you most want to market to by taking advantage of the specialty data selects from our friends over at Nielsen or look for our Lifestyle Interest data like the one suggested in this week’s Master Marketing Schedule for Do-It-Yourself fans. Head over to our Mailing List page to learn more about all the affordable list options available to you.
- It’s personal. Direct mail is your canvas. You can address your customer by name, share specific offers, communicate information that’s specific to your area, and begin to create a top-of-mind awareness and trust. All of our marketing tools are editable, from postcards, to newsletters, to brochures — and you can be as creative as you like. Offer fair trade offers such as Free Reports, lists of homes, a CMA and more – and lend your personality and voice to each piece. Note: review your edits carefully for spelling errors before moving to the next option!
- It’s flexible. From postcards to flyers to letters to brochures, your direct mail options are extensive. Add direct response offers and timely information and you again increase your response rates. Some agents wisely choose a campaign with similar branding to send month after month or quarter after quarter that helps consumers develop a recognition of their brand more easily. Others mix and match their marketing messages – preferring to keep consumers alert and eager to see “what they’ll send next!”
- It’s tangible. The truth is, as human beings we’re tactile people. Engaging different senses is just smart business. If I get a message from a professional I touch via email for example, it registers in the moment – but not necessarily long term. If I get a message that’s directed to me and offers something of importance to me and my family and I can feel it, touch it, put it on the refrigerator or tack it to my bulletin board, etc. – then that message has a much longer shelf life-right? And a better chance of getting a response – not just once but again and again.
- It’s measurable. Direct mail is one of the few media channels that give you the ability to track your success. Use a unique URL or make a specific offer on a direct response piece and keep tabs on how many people click or call on that offer. Adjust future mailings based on that response rate. I always recommend making a direct response offer on every piece of direct mail as opposed to just a generic, ‘here I am’ type mailing. Give people valuable reasons to reach out to you and they will!
- It’s easy and cost-effective. Direct mail doesn’t have to mean big bucks. Now with Every Door Direct Mail costs are low and market saturation is high. One of the things our customers appreciate most about our services in fact is that we do have the ability to provide short-run orders at extremely affordable rates unlike big mail houses which require you to order thousands at a time. Not sure what pieces will work best with your budget? Give us a call-our team is terrific about helping agents match their marketing to their market as well as their budgets!
Hope that gives you some insights into why direct mail is on so many agents to-do list this season! If you need help finding the right pieces for you at the right prices-we’ve got you covered. Call our marketing team at 866.405.3638 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how we can get your production hopping this next quarter in a very budget friendly way!